With the global outbreak of Coronavirus (Covid19), work from home or remote work has become a necessity more than the way of work.
Organizations that have never practised working remotely are the ones facing huge challenges as this can severely impact the business. Rightly so because working remotely requires discipline, commitment, culture and mindset.
It takes time and practice to fully understand and develop a mindset for remote work. Kiprosh being a remote-friendly organization since past many years, I can share some quick tips for both organizations and employees to help sail through this situation.
Tips for the organization:
1. Communicate & over-communicate: Communication is the base of effective remote work. Invest in tools like Slack, Zoom, Google Hangouts or any other medium that works well for the organization. The teams should be well connected and be updated with each other's status and tasks. Do not shy away from over-communicating.
2. Set daily goals and create a list of priority tasks: Teams must have a list of their priority tasks and stick to it. Daily stand up of quick 10-15 mins should keep the entire team in sync. Having tools like Trello, Jira, Slack, etc helps in monitoring the progress of the team and tasks accomplished.
3. Providing necessary infrastructure: Access to emails, important websites, laptops, etc that are essential to carry out duties effectively.
4. Roll out a quick guideline for effective remote work: Become a guide for team members and educate them on necessities of ensuring productive remote working environment. Create a list of Dos and Dont's.
5. Create an environment of trust and empathy: Trust and Empathy play a pivotal role in establishing a remote work mindset. It creates a sense of responsibility among team members.
While organizations are doing their bit, the onus also lies on employees to ensure effective remote working conditions and being productive.
Tips for employees:
1. Create a productive remote working environment: Having good workstation, good internet connection, quality headphones & a quiet place are the prerequisites of successful remote work.
2. Have a remote mindset: Self Discipline, Commitment, and Integrity are the pillars of working remotely.
3. Stick to your schedule: Do not change your working hours every day as it might cause difficulty for other team members to know your availability. Keep your status updated at all times. Time bound your lunch and tea breaks.
Remember: In times like these we unleash the potential we never knew we have.